EuroMed Feminist Initiative (EFI) is a policy network of women’s rights organizations from the two shores of the Mediterranean Sea that provides expertise in the field of gender equality and advocates for women’s universal human rights as inseparable from democracy building and citizenship, for political solutions to all conflicts, and for the right of peoples to self-determination. The head office is in Paris. EFI holds a regional office in Amman, and three national offices in Amman, Beirut, and Erbil.
EFI works with women’s rights activists and groups from Syria since 2008. In 2013 it started the implementation of a four-year program: “Towards a Democratic Transition in Syria by building an inclusive constitution process” (July 2013 - July 2017) with the support of the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida). In December 2017, the second phase of the program, entitled “Towards sustainable peace and democracy in Syria through strengthening civil society and women’s rights”, was launched. This phase aims to support transition towards peace and democracy in Syria through promoting women's rights, combatting VAW and gender discrimination and strengthening women's role and meaningful participation at all levels of political, social and economic reconstruction processes.
Rationale of the evaluation
EFI wishes to conduct an external in-depth evaluation of the implementation of the program in accordance with the general terms of agreement with Sweden.
The purpose of the evaluation is to assess the results achieved linked to the overall and specific objectives as expressed in the program and to provide relevant findings, lessons learned, and best practices as well as recommendations that would help guide future intervention planning by EFI and its partners.
Overview of the Programs
The overall objective of the SIDA funded program “Towards a Democratic Transition in Syria by building an inclusive constitution process” is to contribute to enhancing transition towards peace and democracy in Syria through promoting women's rights, combatting VAW and gender discrimination and ensuring women's role and meaningful participation at all levels of political, social and economic reconstruction processes.
The specific objectives of the program are:
- A widened network/number of HR & WR partner CSOs are more influential in shaping public opinion on gender equality, ending discrimination and violence against women as integral part of rebuilding Syria;
- Developing and advocating gender sensitive (WR) legislation is jointly undertaken by CSOs and legal experts;
- Women's participation at all levels of peace and reconstruction processes is enhanced using UNSCR 1325 in connection with gender sensitive constitution building process.
EFI requires that the evaluation is conducted by a team of 2 main evaluators and 2 assistant Syrian evaluators, from whom one resides inside Syria and one outside. Each of the main evaluators will have full control and responsibility of each of the programs. Competencies expected from the 2 main evaluators are:
- Master's or doctoral degree, preferably in Social Sciences.
- At least 5 years’ experience in conducting external evaluations in gender and human-rights based interventions.
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation and in results-based management evidenced by previous assignments.
- Ability to produce well-written reports that demonstrate excellent analytical and communication skills from the perspective of women’s rights as universal human rights, as evidenced by previous assignments.
- A strong team leadership and management track record.
- Ability to work with the organization and with other stakeholders to ensure the delivery of a high-quality product in a timely manner.
- A full understanding of security related issues and approaches with regards to collecting sensitive information from program beneficiaries and stakeholders.
- Regional/Country experience and knowledge.
- Excellent command of English is mandatory.
- An excellent command of Arabic is mandatory for at least one main evaluator
The selection of the 2 assistants will be made in agreement between EFI and the 2 main evaluators.
EVALUATION, AUTHORSHIP AND PUBLICATION PREMISES
• Anonymity and confidentiality - The evaluation should respect the right of individuals to provide information with an assurance of anonymity and confidentiality.
• Responsibility - Any dispute or difference of opinion that may arise between evaluators and those in charge of the programs will be discussed and resolved within the M&M committee.
• Integrity - The evaluators will be responsible for highlighting issues not specifically mentioned in the ToR, should this be necessary in order to obtain a more complete analysis of the intervention.
• Independence – The evaluators should ensure the independence and objectivity of the information, statements and conclusions made regarding the intervention.
• Incidents – If any problems arising during the execution of field work or at any other stage of the evaluation, these should be reported immediately to the M&M Committee. Otherwise, the existence of such problems should under no circumstances be used to justify the failure to achieve the results required by EFI in this document.
• Validation of information - The evaluators will be responsible for ensuring the accuracy of the information gathered for the preparation of reports, and responsible for the information presented in the evaluation report.
• Submission of Report - In the case of late delivery of report or in the event that the quality of report submitted is inferior to that agreed, the penalties set forth in the contract will be applied.
EFI reserves the right to direct the evaluation and/or decide on its various aspects.
DEADLINES FOR THE EXECUTION OF THE EVALUATION
The evaluation will be carried out during 15/04/2020 – 15/09/2020 throughout countries of implementation of the program and according to the action plan.
The deadlines for the completion of the evaluation will be agreed by the evaluation team and the M&M Committee in accordance with the technical proposal submitted by them.
The wording of the final evaluation report, its presentation and approval by the M&M Committee should be completed by 15 August, 2020.
The total estimate for the required evaluation of the two programs is € 25,000 (including VAT).
This amount shall cover fees for the team (2 main evaluators and 2 assistants), flights, in-country travel and accommodation, and any other expenses incurred during the evaluation process.
PLACE AND DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION OF TENDERS
Tenders should be submitted in English by email to: ife@efi-EuroMed.org indicating the reference: “External Evaluation" in the email subject.
The deadline for submission of tenders is 8 April 2020.
EuroMed Feminist Initiative (EFI) is a policy network that provides expertise in the field of gender equality, democracy building and citizenship, and advocates for political solutions to all conflicts, and peoples´ rights to self-determination. EFI encompasses women’s rights organizations from the two shores of the Mediterranean and seeks to correct the gender power imbalances through ending discrimination and oppression of women and bringing about positive change for the whole society. EFI Headquarters are in Paris, with offices in Amman, Beirut and Erbil.
In January 2019, EuroMed Feminist Initiative with a consortium of 9 women’s rights organizations launched a three-year regional project titled “Combating Violence against Women in the Southern Mediterranean Region”, funded by the EU. The overall objective is to contribute to the elimination of all forms of violence against women and girls (VAWG) in the Southern Neighborhood States.
In the frame of the project, EFI has built a consortium with credible and experienced national women’s rights organizations in Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Palestine and Tunisia.
For the purpose of the project, EFI is looking for an intern based in Regional Office Amman, Jordan to support and assist the Project Coordinator in its duties.
The Project assistant responsibilities are:
• Research, monitor and compile information from different sources ;
• Prepare briefing notes, talking points, and reports as required ;
• Participate and support in the implementation of regional activities ;
• Assist Program coordinator and communication coordinator in the organisation of events (including high level conferences, forums…) ;
• Contribute to the development of publications, advocacy and communication materials ;
• Provide editing and revision support on reports, briefs, guidance notes, studies, and other timely documents as needed ;
• Assist in translating documents in French and in English ;
• Provide support on additional tasks and projects related to programme as necessary and assigned by Program Coordinator ;
This position reports directly to Project Coordinator who is based in Amman, Jordan.
• Bachelor’s Degree or being enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree) in a relevant field (such as international development, gender studies, law…)
• Excellent written and oral communication skills in both English and French is essential ; working knowledge of Arabic is desirable
• Excellent Microsoft Office application (PowerPoint, excel, word) ; and knowledge in design application is an asset
▪ Excellent writing skills and translation experience English <-> French is an asset
▪ Strong organizational and research skills
▪ Experience in writing, editing reports, draft presentations
▪ Basic statistics knowledge
▪ Awareness of and sensitive to working in multiple socio-economic settings and with multi-cultural groups
• Interest in EFI’s core cause, feminism, women’s rights and gender equality
▪ Energetic and positive attitude with strong interpersonal and intrapersonal skills
▪ Ability to work in team
▪ Analytical and problem-solving approach
▪ Ability to communicate in a clear, precise and structured way, presents effectively
▪ Duty station is in Amman, Jordan
▪ A 6 months paid internship
How to apply:
Email your brief cover letter and CV in English to firstname.lastname@example.org by 20th of February 2020. Please also indicate ‘Internship – Project Assistant – Jordan’ as your email subject.
EuroMed Feminist Initiative (EFI) is a policy network that provides expertise in the field of gender equality, democracy building and citizenship, and advocates for political solutions to all conflicts, and peoples´ rights to self-determination. Headquarters are in Paris, with offices in Amman, Beirut, and Erbil.
EuroMed Feminist Initiative is implementing a multi-county project “Strengthening access to protection, participation and services for women refugees, IDPs and host communities”, funded by the EU Regional Trust Fund in Response to the Syrian Crisis – EU MADAD fund. The overall objective is to improve the livelihood, agency and legal and social protection for Syrian women refugees, IDPs and host communities in the region in Lebanon, Iraq/Kurdistan Region – Iraq (KR-I) and Jordan.
In Iraq EuroMed Feminist Initiative partners are Women Empowerment Organization and Baghdad Women Association. The objectives are to enhance security and resilience for Syrian women refugees and women from host communities through supporting and coordinating comprehensive and structured services and referral mechanisms as well as supporting gender sensitizing of policy frameworks and legislation.
For this project, EuroMed Feminist Initiative is looking for a qualified candidate to fill the Accountant position based in Erbil.
The Overall Responsibility as an Accountant is:
To work on overall financial monitoring and support capacity building for Iraqi office and partners and to practice rigorous financial control mechanism. To make sure that EFI’s financial procedures, policies and requirements are implemented in compliance with the EU and EU Regional Trust Fund MADAD and to contribute to the achievement of EFI’s goals and vision.
The roles and responsibilities are:
- Participates in preparation of budget and other funding requests; provides financial support to Program Team; prepares financial monthly reports for activities using EFI specific format; close monitoring on budget and revision in collaboration with Amman office and HQ.
- Ensures accurately recording of all transactions made by cash or bank or any other form in the EFI financial system; monitors timely receipt and expenditure returns from Program Team and ensures correct data entry and reconciliation in the system; ensures that work advances are accounted for in line with IFE-EFI and donor’s financial guidelines.
- Manages daily operations of accounting system which is in line with EFI and donor (ie. EU) requirements, maintains cash and non-cash transactions, manages bank and cash transactions, ensures the use of proper and correct budget code; monitors cash payment and ensures the records or entries are up-to-date; pays attention on fluctuating exchange rate used for any transactions.
- Provides feedback and enhances internal controls to satisfy EFI audit requirements; takes part of providing data and records during the audit process; reports immediately on irregular spending to Senior Finance Officer and Country Manager as deemed appropriate.
- Takes part of payroll preparation in line with national fiscal system under guidance of HQ Senior Finance Officer and HR Manager.
- Complies with Finance and Procurement guidelines when dealing with any transactions; provides initiative to review current guidelines and proposes relevant recommendations.
- Ensures proper financial documentation in Iraq office; prepares reports and sends documentation to HQ in a timely manner; follows the financial check-list.
- Reviews the partner’s financial reports on a regular monthly bases; provides technical assistance to partners to enhance the finance systems and the organization’s internal controls.
- Coordinate with the procurement officer in Amman. This includes management of all service contracts and other agreements.
- Collects the leave request for Country Manager’s approval and sends them to HR Manager prior to payroll; updates the leave balance accurately in timely; collects the timesheet and verifies accuracy before sending them to HQ HR Manager.
- Takes part of regular staff meetings and respects to the weekly task report in line with performance management.
- If required, support EFI’s project activities with guidance from Senior Finance and Accounting Officer and Country Manager.
This position reports directly to Country Manager who is based in Erbil and to Senior Finance Officer in Paris. Close collaboration with Project Officer in Erbil, and Finance Controller in Amman.
- University degree in accounting or finance with preference professional certification in accounting.
- Excellent written and oral communication in English and Arabic is essential. French language is desirable.
- Excellent Microsoft Office application especially Excel. Desirable knowledge in financial system such as CIEL, SAP, Oracle etc.
- A minimum of four years of relevant work experience in finance and accounting is required.
- Proven experience in managing large budgets
- Demonstrated expertise in using accounting system
- Ability to provide technical guidance and advise especially to non-finance colleague
- Knowledge of Iraqi accounting principles
- Understanding of development field such as INGOs or institutional donor is desirable
- Demonstrated record of accurate and timely reporting
- Ability to multi-task effectively, including having excellent planning, organizational skills, and the ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to complete task and meet deadline.
- Detail-oriented approach with strong analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Communicates in a clear, precise and structured way, presents effectively.
- Ability to work in a multicultural team and with partners sharing EFI core values.
- This role is open for qualified Iraqi candidates.
- Duty station is in Erbil
- A fixed-term position with contract length of 7 months extendable.
How to apply:
Email your brief cover letter and CV in English to email@example.com by 13 February 2020. Please also indicate ‘Accountant Officer Erbil’ as your email subject.